Why, crowdsource some ideas from the writers and readers of the blogosphere, of course!
New York City is one of my absolute favourite places to visit. The first time I went there was as a child on a bus tour with my parents. Since then I’ve been four more times – all have been memorable, but the best might just have been the week I spent there after freshman year of university with my friend Ashley. I’d never been on a trip without my family prior to that and the two of us had an absolute blast. We walked 60 blocks a day weaving our way all over the city and we never ran out of things to do. That’s the best thing about NYC. It literally never sleeps and there’s always something going on.
This coming winter will mark my sixth venture to New York and this time around I’ll be joined by one of my girlfriends. It’s going to make it a half dozen visits for me, but a first for my friend Kendra. I want her to love it as much as I do, which really isn’t difficult.
We already have quite the ‘To Do’ list:
1) See P!nk in concert (this spurred the whole trip when we couldn’t get tickets to her show at home)
2) Go to an NBA game
3) Pretty much all the tourist attractions (Statue of Liberty – hopefully the statue is reopened by then, Empire State Building, Times Square, etc.)
4) See a Broadway (or Off-Broadway) show – we’re not picky
5) Play Accomplice (NYC mystery play/scavenger hunt)
6) Shop – outlets here we come! SoHo, too!
7) See the lighting of the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center – Dec. 4th!
8) Museums – I can literally spend a full day at MoMA
So what am I hoping to learn from my fellow bloggers and readers? I’m sure many of you either live in NYC or have visited before. Everyone has a different and unique experience of the cities they go to.
What are your favourite memories of NYC? What’s something that someone who’s been there several times and someone who’s never been will both love? Anything that you think is overhyped and not worth the money to see? Neighbourhoods that are a must to go to? Restaurants that will satisfy our foodie palates without costing an arm and a leg?
One of the downfalls of the city is that, yes, you can do a ton in just a weekend, but, no, you won’t manage everything. No matter how hard you try you will need to make a trip back in the future and that’s A-OK.
Your suggestions are appreciated and we will make every effort to do as many of them as possible.
As always, thanks!